Managing Healthcare Information Systems
Students will examine the use and management of information systems in the healthcare environment by focusing upon clinical information systems, healthcare information systems, data quality standards, and information exchange standards. Students will utilize a case-study method to deepen their understanding of healthcare information security, systems acquisition, implementation, and support. Students will critically assess service challenges and strategic information management concepts.
- Define the scope of healthcare information systems,
- Compare and contrast definitions of health information systems,
- Critically evaluate information systems components,
- Differentiate among healthcare information support systems,
- Evaluate and compare the quality and importance of data elements,
- Identify uses of patient data in the pursuit of quality, safety, and efficiency,
- Define patient data security regulations and requirements,
- Discuss the major barriers to information system adoption,
- Elaborate on healthcare information system utilization strategies, and
- Assess the value of information systems and suggested interventions to increase value.